Saturday, February 11, 2012

02/11/12 - Remissing

Well, I've been remiss on my blogging so far this year - not being as dilligent about it as could be. Time just seems to be whizzing by and everyday seems to be a bit more of a struugle (physically) but Scootertown is a project that is very much alive unfortunately, it's taken a back seat to the upcoming one man show in Brooklyn.

My original plan was to have mailed out project proposals and inquiries to publishers as well as mailed out copies of Scootertown to several more teachers, professors, child advocacy orgs and the like along with a request for letters outlining how they believe Scootertown could be used (as a teaching tool, therapy tool, in child's play, etc), what it's strengths are and if they enjoyed it. Scores of people have the book and everyone has been over the moon enthusiastic about getting a copy but no one has followed thru with a letter - something I need when I write publishers. Letters give the project validity, show dedication and value and prove there is a audience for what I have had in mind....which people who work with children on a variety of levels  (teachers, librarians, foster care workers, therapists, etc) say there is.

But here we are - a lot of projects on my plate, all of them important to me but I really need to focus on one at a time so I can dabble in Scootertown thru this month but my focus has to be placed on Brooklyn and getting the work ready for that show first and with the RSD swallowing me whole again this winter I have to pick and choice what exactly I'm going to put my energy into everyday and focus on that.

Not enough energy, not enough time in the day

Maybe I should just rerwite my letter requesting people review the book again -  take this time in my day to do something worthwhile instead of just drinking coffee and lamenting on my blog...

The Scootertown work desk 

A cut out activity project in design. I want to set up several pages that provide actvivites for children to work on - this page, featuring the main character's homes, would correspond with a map of the town. When I was a child, i always wanted to feel like I was a part of my favorite books, like I had a way to really interact with my favorite characters. I used to draw Stewart Little and take him on advntures - he was so kind and brave, I really wanted to be a part of his life. 

The activity pages I have in mind, for Scootertown books, are a way for children to play in Scootertown, thru character based activities like this. I want to children to be able to set up the town, make up their own stories and adventures, and engage with the characters. I want to inspire children to do, to use their imaginations, to play and to write their own stories. I don't want this to be just another cookie cutter book project.


To view the first 1/2 of Scootertown go to: www.becklane.com and click on the Scootertown tab.









No comments:

Post a Comment